Seminar #1, ASHRAE Standard 55 - Thermal Environmental
Conditions for Human Occupancy
The seminar takes designers through a short
history of thermal comfort research; describes the human
physiological responses to the thermal environment and
identifies the compliance criteria in ASHRAE Standard 55.
1. Describe the milestones in thermal comfort research
2. Explain heat transfer from and to the human body.
3. Explain human physiological responses to the thermal
4. Describe the 4 general factors, 4 localized factors and two
personal factors and how they are described in
ASHRAE Standard 55
Seminar #2, E^5: Energy, Exergy, Efficacy,
Entropy and Efficiency
This presentation is an introduction to 2nd law
exergy efficiency and why the exclusive reliance on 1st law
energy conservation is detrimental to society and in conflict
with the philosophical definition of sustainability.
1. Explain how buildings are transforming and why that has an
impact on operating temperatures.
2. Explain the relationship between u values, surface areas and
temperatures used for space heating
3. Explain the relationships between energy, exergy, efficiency
entropy, and efficacy
4. Describe why it is important that while society moves to
greater energy efficiency there must also be a corresponding
increase in exergy efficiency.